All of the elements that make for a perfect summer day — saltwater, chlorine, surf-side breezes and the warming rays of the sun — reek havoc on your tresses. Follow these tips from our stylists to maintain your gorgeous hair all summer long:
1. Use Moisturizing Products! The heat of the sun along with salt, chlorine or sand will open up your hair cuticle, stripping it of natural oils. Use a good conditioner every time you shampoo!
2. Shield your Hair Color! Just like you wouldn’t go out in the sun without suntan lotion, don’t let your hair be exposed without a UV protection for your hair.
3. Keep your hair Saturated! Before you dive into a pool or the sea, drench your hair with clean water first. Your hair will soak that in instead of absorbing damaging chlorine or salt.
4. Use the Sun to Your Advantage! Try coating your hair with a deep conditioning masque before lying out. All of the “good for you” ingredients will soak into your hair as the heat helps the products penetrate deeper than normal.
5. Put Down the Heating Tools! With all the exposure you are getting, minimize your use of dryers and irons. You know your hair won’t hold up in Houston’s humidity anyway, so use a great styling product and let your hair dry naturally. Use a great curl-enhancing spray for a sexy beachy look. Or, use some great accessories for a casual summer ‘do.